Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 25, 2010

27.5 Weeks - High Amniotic Fluid for Baby B

I saw both doctors this past week. My OB measured me as if I were 38 weeks pregnant. Yikes!! This is just crazy! I saw the perinatologist the next day and both babies are developing on track and look good. Baby A is measuring at 2 lbs 5 ounces and is average and baby B is measuring 2 lbs 13 ounces above average with high amniotic fluid. I had the same high amniotic fluid with Cameron which is what put me into preterm labor and on bed rest. When I saw Dr. Allen 3 weeks ago he had made a note that Baby B's fluid was a little on the high side, but nothing to be concerned with. When I saw him this past week, he called it excessive and was concerned. He said, no wonder you feel the way you do and are having contractions. So needless to say, I felt validated that I wasn't just being a wuss because I am so uncomfortable. He also said that this is the reason I am so large.
So my first question was what can we do and he said actually the first question is why is this happening. He said, a lot of people that have this high amniotic fluid could have or be developing gestational diabetes. Which I just got my results back on Friday from the glucose test and I am in normal range and do not have gestational diabetes. Thank goodness. He also said, that problems with high amniotic fluid could mean something wrong with the baby, like blocked intestine or heart issues. He said, that he has scanned both of these babies several times and sees nothing wrong with them and they look great. Praise God!! Then I reminded him I had this problem with Cameron and he said some people are just prone to this and it's possible that I am prone to this type of thing.
Next we talked about what to do. One thing we could do if I were to the point that I am so uncomfortable that they could insert a needle (hospital procedure) into the sac and drain the fluid. But there are risks that come with that for BOTH babies. So that is not an option for us - Drew and I will not put these babies at risk if we don't have to. Then, he said if I were to go into preterm labor there is a drug that they would use that is very effective for this type of thing and that is very safe for me and the babies (hospital stay over 3-5 days). The problem with that is they cannot do it after 31 weeks because it is harmful to the babies at that point.
So I see him back in 2 weeks and we see what the level of the fluid is at that point. He said, that the fluid should peak and then level off.
He did say to watch my contractions, take it very easy, and took me out work. At least this time, they have caught this in time and if anything like preterm labor happens they will know what they are dealing with. I am very confident in both of my doctors and I am just listening to their advice at this point. We are praying nothing happens like preterm labor. I don't want to go through that again.
I will keep everyone posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment